Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Music From Town


I've promised that the music would get better as Christmas gets closer, and this album may prove to be as good as it gets. Well, this one and the one later today (from the same label in the same year). I probably picked this album up, looked at it, and put it back down three times before I actually purchased it. And boy was I glad I did. This is some really great vocal work! Nice arrangements, too. My favorite track of the season is on here, but I won't tell you which one it is, since I don't want to prejudice you. (I thought it was an original, but I've since found a version by Sammy Kaye.) So please download and listen to Christmas Greetings From The Town Pipers (HiFi R418, 1959). I featured a doodle from the flip side of this LP back in July, if you'd like to have a look.

(Anybody got this one in stereo? I've got two copies now, and both are mono.)

Update (13 Oct 08): This one is now available for legal download. And that's a good thing, becuase it means that more of this old Christmas music that we all love is available to a wider audience. Here's the link to Amazon, and it's also available at other legal download sites. Now if I could just get them to look at the Three Suns catalog...

2 comments:

  1. This is really enjoyable...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a stereo version on Ebay for $25 (with CD). A bit pricey.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...