Monday, July 17, 2006

Christmas In July-Part 17

Welcome to day 17, eh. I've got a little bit of noise for you today. All three tracks are from private pressings, one more private than the other two...

Track one is Hanover Winter Song by The Dartmouth College Glee Club from the album Reflections On Dartmouth (Campion OSS-2381). This record appears to be something recorded by Jim Campion, owner of the general store located closest to campus and sold to visiting parents and other proud relatives. I'd put it somewhere in the mid to late 50's.

Track two is actually the same song, only this time it's called Winter Song, and it's performed by The Al Stewart Singers from the album cleverly entitles Program No. 4 (Universal U-50317/8). Again, this is a private pressing, probably only for the members of Al's Singers, their friends and families. Both versions of this song are performed by loud male choruses and don't hold a lot of excitement for me. But I'm an equal opportunity offender, perhaps you'll enjoy it.

Track three is an instrumental called Christmas Music Of Puerto Rico by The Overtones, from the LP Memorial Album (BB-7-8-70). Don't ask me why I even picked this up in the thrift store, but I did, and now you have to hear a track from it. It's in a plain white sleeve with a photocopy taped to the front and the back. Evidently some group of steel drum players from Puerto Rico performed in the US Capitol building on July 8, 1970, and they recorded it for posterity. Nobody thought to properly mic the room so it sounds like mud soup, and someone actually brushes up against the tape machine causing the recording to slow down at one point! But as I mentioned above, I'm an equal opportunity offender. Maybe you'll like it...

Anyhow, here is the link. Please enjoy it as best you can...

2 comments:

  1. I just found your site (through Falalala). Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may see if I can fix that file by the Overtones so it sounds better. I won't promise anything, but I can sure try! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...