Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas With Twice

I noticed something odd last night while browsing through the archives. I had pulled out an album called Christmas With The Lennon Sisters (Dot DLP 25343, 1961) that I wanted to record. I knew it was on CD (go buy it from the girls), but I wanted to listen to it right then and not wait for the CD, so I recorded it while listening. Then I went back to the shelf and looked at the other covers I had for the same record. One was a boring cover on a Ranwood reissue (a label associated with Lawrence Welk), and one was a boring cover on Wing. But then I noticed something. There weren't enough tracks on the Wing version. It's not surprising to find fewer tracks on reissues, I guess it saves on costs. Annoying, yes, but not surprising. Then I noticed some of the tracks didn't sound familiar. Then I came to the startling realization that it was an entirely different album! A little research turned up the information that this record is not on CD, which means I get to share it with you. So for those of you who love The Lennon Sisters, and who doesn't, here is their other Christmas album of the same name, Christmas With The Lennon Sisters (Wing SRW 16408, 1968). The one you're downloading is the one shown above. The one you're going to go buy on CD is shown below. Got that straight?

Well, nevermind. I guess this one is on CD, I just wasn't smart enough to figure that out. If you already downloaded this one, you have to delete it now. Scout's Honor! The link above now points to the page where you can buy this LP under it's original title, Noel.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wing LP is a rerelease of the "Noel" LP they did on Mercury. You can buy it from the Sisters as well. Here's the original cover:

    [url]http://static.flickr.com/137/318199399_06c36db483_b.jpg[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Ernie, I can't get this link right for love nor money. If you add "jpg" to the above link, you can see the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh... I just can't seem to do anything right today. Now I have to come up with another share for today. Thanks for pointing it out, PDMan. I wouldn't want to put anything out there that was avaiable already, especially from the artist directly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're having bad luck with this today. Sorry, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I saw this one posted on another blog a couple of days ago and found out it was out on CD. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great recordings that you post! By any chance do you have the Lennon Sisters song "Santa from Santa Fe"?? It doesn't appear to be on any of the sisters' current CDs, but it was on a Lawrence Welk LP (also not currently on CD) from the late 50s, I believe. Does this ring a bell with you? It's one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Jingle-aye - jingle-oh - jingle-ingle-ay!"

    Thank you so much for this! You have made my Christmas! Our family had this album back in the 60s (ours was monaural) and I haven't heard it in a long time. Every year I look for it to appear on CD to no avail. Thanks again!.....and my guess is that the song might have originally been recorded in mono, but was later remastered with added reverb to simulate a stereophonic effect. Nevertheless, this song is pure Christmas candy for the ears!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...