Saturday, July 07, 2007

Christmas In July 2007-Day 7

OK, here's the file that marks the end of the first week. It's tougher than it looks, to share out all this music, believe me. The hardest part is deciding what to share out each day. Today was a fairly easy choice, though. I'm just throwing three versions of the same track at you. And that track is Skater's Waltz, which may or may not be considered a Christmas tune. If you're one of those people who doesn't think this track belongs in the Christmas canon, then I suggest you don't download this one. The three artists are The Kingsway Strings, The Organ Masters and The 77 Strings Orchestra, from the albums A Symphony On Ice (Somerset P-4900), Music For Skaters (RCA Camden CAS-2363, 1969) and Waltz Favorites (Golden Tone 14043) respectively. Here's the link, and I hope you enjoy them.

The shares from this date last year were two tracks from 5 Guitars, 50 Fingers by Mark White. Good guitar stuff, if not particularly Christmassy.

2 comments:

  1. "It's tougher than it looks, to share out all this music, believe me."

    No matter. It is your destiny.

    I see the "Skaters Waltz" title without the apostrophe a lot--probably because it's a shortening of "The Skaters--Waltz." That's my guess. It's doubtful that Emil Waldteufel intended it as Christmas music, but I don't know.

    So, I just thought I'd sign on to say that I don't know. The Internet allows me to instantly communicate it, to boot!

    There were zillions of sheet music editions of the waltz (I own about 200,000), so my guess is that the thing was simply so popular, they had to stick it on a holiday. Christmas being the black hole of holiday songs--millions go in, but only a relative few reemerge.

    Be on the lookout for my 47,000-volume collection of "Failed Yuletide Ditties."

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. 200000 editions of Skater(')s Waltz? Can you list those here, please? Or perhaps you're exagerating a tad?

    Seriously, I think every version I record comes back with a different puctuation...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...