Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Christmas In July 2007-Day 9

Yes, I know I'm a day behind. I got tied up last night, and didn't get a chance to post. I probably won't be able to make up the missing day before the weekend, either, but I'm going to try not to lose any ground between now and then. Today you get two versions of It Happened In Sun Valley, and two tracks by Andre Previn, but not necessarily the same two. The first version of It Happened In Sun Valley is indeed by Andre Previn, from his LP Let's Get Away From It All (Decca DL 8131, 1955). (I shared a great doodle from this LP here.) This is an instrumental version, so you have to be familiar with it to make it feel a little wintry. If you need to hear the lyrics, try out this second version by the great Glenn Miller And His Orchestra from the LP The Golden Hits From His Original Soundtracks (20th Fox Fox 1001, 1961), a collection of songs that were cut for various movies that are purported to be in higher fidelity that stuff he recorded in the studio. And if you're keeping score, you'll know the third track is by Andre Previn, but you won't know that it's Blue Holiday from the album The Previn Scene (MGM E3908, 1961). Don't get depressed, it's not that blue. Here's the link. Have at it!

What was the share a year ago? Three versions of Our Winter Love, and a bonus track with a similar title, Winter's Sadness.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the dedication to the craft. I have recently take up th camera after Bongolong said he used sunlight and a digital camera to get the album art and find your work an inspiration.

    I have used MusicMatch for several years and now that Yahoo has bought them out and they are no longer going to keep the product pure, I was wondering what app you use to rip, tag and catalog all of your recordings. Bongolong shared his methods a bit ago and I would be interested in reading how you do such a terrific job and what tools you use.

    Thanks and keep up the good work.

    Fixxitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi fixxitt! I knew there was a comment I wanted to respond to around here, but I couldn't find it. Anyhow, for my recording from vinyl, I use Audacity. It's a free open-source software that works well. For tagging the files, creating the MP3s, and generally to keep track of all this music I have on the PC, I use iTunes. There are a couple of things I don't like about it, but they are far outweighed by the things I do like about it. Again, it's free. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a Million. Yes, it helps a lot. I've tried Audacity and find it above my ability to use effectively so I stick with Magix and hope the wizards do the trick. I am giving Media Monkey a try, but so far I'm stumbling trying to get the hang of it. I agree that iTunes has a few drawback, but at least it can do the handling for at least two platforms and that saves a lot of learning for an old man!

    Thanks for taking the time to answer and doing all the heavy lifting on these files. Between the pictures, art and music, you have created a one stop shop and I love it.

    Have a great week.

    fixxitt

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...