Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Never Forget


Sometime back in '97 or '98, I had the chance to visit NYC for a few hours. I wasn't into photography at the time and didn't have a camera. I took a ride to the top of the Empire State Building, looked out the window, and knew I needed to invest in a camera. Your choices are somewhat limited at the Empire State Gift Shop, but I got a disposable camera and took these rather inglorious shots. An hour or so later, I drove past the base of the twin towers of the World Trade Center, but missed the turn to park and visit the observation deck. I figured I could go back some other time, but I figured wrong. A couple of years went by, and suddenly the towers were gone. So to remember them, I have these two fuzzy pictures that I took all those years ago.

I don't know anyone who died when the towers came down. I know one person who was inside when one of the planes hit, but he got out safely. I remember the feeling of angst on that day as I'm sure anyone who calls themselves an American does. I hope we can live the rest of our lives without experiencing that feeling again. I'm afraid that's as eloquent as I can be.

1 comment:

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...