Saturday, September 29, 2007

Oodles Of Doodles CCLXXI-Finally A Flora!


It's taken me a while, but I have finally found a Flora doodle all my own! I've been posting doodles now for two and a half years, but this is the first one I've found by Jim Flora, or, if you look closely between the trombonists legs above, James Flora. That's right, it's actually got a name on it, a rarity in the doodle world. But even if the name weren't there, you would be able to tell this was done by Mr. Flora. The odd proportions, the not-quite-right musical instruments, the tribute along the bottom to jazz-age footwear, the only thing missing here is the off-kilter color scheme usually employed by the color-blind Jim Flora. (Oh, and everybody has the right number of arms, legs, eyes and ears.) But it's a doodle, and those are almost always in black and white, so we can't complain about that. I found this record at a Salvation Army store, and I think I let out an audible whoop when I flipped the sleeve over and saw it. I didn't realize until I got home that the wrong record was in the sleeve. No matter though, the art is what's important here. Oh, I guess something else would be important, like the fact that this doodle is from the back side of The Dukes Of Dixieland-At The Jazz Band Ball (RCA Victor LPM-2097, 1959).

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...