Friday, December 21, 2007

26 Days Of Christmas-Day 22


If I've done my math correctly, this posting gets me all caught up on my 26 Days Of Christmas collection. Four tracks left and four days to Christmas. Yep, that sounds right. And what a track this is! Only a few people can claim to be part of the mythology of Christmas. Well, real people that is. I suspect Bing Crosby tops the list, and then perhaps Gene Autry. But fighting it out with Gene Autry might be Burl Ives, whose Holly Jolly Christmas is a classic, and whose animated visage adorns TVs every Christmas. I managed to dig up a single from him that I've never heard of before. It appears to have been recorded many years ago, and later developed into an animated special. Or maybe it was going to be animated, as I can't find much evidence that it ever was. Googling this single yields a claim at Amazon that there was a CD at one time, but that's about the only evidence of said CD. Lots of sites list the same 7" single I have, but nobody talks about an animated special or a CD. So I think this track is pretty special, and I'm sure you will think so too. Please download Burl Ives-It's Gonna Be A Mixed Up Xmas (Monkey Joe 7" MJ-1, 1978). The song is cute, and I think it stands alone pretty well. It might make a little more sense if you could hear the 11 minute tale of Monkey Joe on the flip side, but that's going to have to wait for another day.

Previous Tunes:
Mickey Gilley-Don't The Girls All Get Prettier At Christmas Time
Scott Fagen-Sandy The Blue Nosed Reindeer
Russ Morgan-The Mistletoe Kiss
Sascha Burland-The Chickens Are In The Chimes!
Commander Shea School Boys' Choir-Chree-See-Mus
The Crew-Cuts-Dance Mr. Snowman Dance
Tennessee Ernie-A Rootin' Tootin' Santa Claus
Arthur Godfrey-Christmas Is Christmas
Sue Powell-Kiss Me It's Kiss-mas
Eddy Howard-Uncle Mistletoe
Lonzo And Oscar-Jangle Bells
Margaret Whiting And Jimmy Wakely-Christmas Candy
Joe Dowell-A Kiss For Christmas
Connie Landers-I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter
Joe Ward-Christmas Questions
Molly Bee-Willy Claus
The William Dawson Chorus-Merry Are The Bells
The Roy-Cliffs-Marshmallow World
Cricketone Chorus & Orchestra-The Snowflake Song
Jimmy Boyd-Santa Claus Blues
Dora Hall-Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that I didn't have any Burl Ives christmas music except "Holly Jolly Christmas," and then you share this one! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please post The Christmas Legend of Monkey Joe my mother always talks about it but i have never heard it and can't seem to find it anywhere

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...