Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Ghosts Of Christmas Past


Happy Christmas to everybody out there! Hope you're having a good one. I'm here at my parents house, and since I had a few minutes, I dug out the baby book, hooked up the scanner and went to town. I found pictures from my first six Christmases, and I figured I'd share them with the world. You've got to allow me a vanity post every now and then... The shot above on Santa's lap is from 1970 when I was just six months old. I'm not sure what it is I'm wearing though, some sort of karate suit or something? My fashion sense hasn't gotten a lot better over the years.

Christmas number two, 1971. I think that's my grandmother's house. Pretty sure that's her bending over in the back, and that's one of my aunts right behind me. I'm your Rapid Delivery boy! I remember that rug being in my house growing up, it was in the dining room. That's why I'm not absolutely certain this is my grandparent's place. Perhaps they gave the rug to my folks.

Christmas, 1972. I remember that little farmhouse. It mooed when you opened the door. It was packed with little plastic farm animals and little plastic pieces of fence you could use to build a corral with. Never enough for my grand schemes, but some.

Christmas, 1973. Nothing exciting going on here at all, I'm afraid. I can remember that picture of my mom hanging in the wall of their bedroom for years. They also had one of those pastel chalk portraits of Mom and Dad in there, I always thought they got it at Disney World, but I'm not sure.

1974, and I'm back on Santa's lap. I had a baby brother at this point, so I'm probably asking Santa what I had done to deserve that.

And last but not least, 1975. This was my dad's new tractor, but I suspect I wanted it. I've always heard of pictures where I'm on the tractor in my undies, but I didn't find those in the baby book. Sorry. I always thought that was a Ford tractor, but I see it says Leyland on the cowl. He eventually had a couple of Massey-Ferguson's, but that was later on.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! It's been an especially exciting sharity season and you are certainly the sharingest sharer in sharityland! Many thanks for all the shares. I don't know if I'll catch up on everything as I let my premium Rapidshare account lapse, but I'm gonna try. Wishing you and yours a really great '08!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That farmhouse is a thrift store staple around my parts. Finding one with a fully-intact "Moooo" is pretty tough. Many don't Mooo at all, or they have a delayed, rather quiet Mooo when you open the doors. Every once in a while, you get a full Moooo.

    Only at antique malls will you find the barn AND the animals and people who came with it. Those animals were the coolest Fisher-Price inventions ever, imo.

    I once bought a complete set, complete with silo, at a flea market. Then, once I owned it, I sort of lost interest. The hunt was over.

    That wonderful farm set came too late for my childhood. Maybe in another time band....

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...