Monday, July 28, 2008

Missing The Moon


I hate to admit it, but I didn't get a moon picture for you Saturday night or Sunday morning. I was up too late Saturday night seeing the new Batman movie, and I didn't get up until it was daylight Sunday morning. I could see the moon, but it wouldn't have been much of a picture. So to make up for missing the moon, I present you with the next best thing. These are pictures of the Moon, just really close and just a really small piece there-of. I drove over to Kennedy Space Center, paid my admission, rode a bus out to the Saturn V Center, and found the little piece of the Moon they keep there for tourists to touch. It's the little triangle you see above. I doubt that it started out as a triangle, but once they'd done their research, that's what was left. It's mounted under much Lexan in the little kiosk you see below. If you weren't paying attention, you'd miss it. And it's hard to pay attention, really, since there's a Saturn V rocket hanging over your head, and it's really, really big. It tends to draw your attention away from this small piece of the Moon.


The little plaque above tells you about the rock and it's composition. I stood there for a few minutes telling people it was warm to the touch, but I don't think anyone believed me. Several people were afraid to touch it, actually, and that was before I tried to tell them a story! The picture below shows me trying to get my grubby paws on the rock and bring it home for my collection, but it was well cemented in place. That was as close much of my fingers as I could get on it. Trust me when I say it's well protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...