Monday, April 13, 2009

Unprocessed Escargo Omelet


Anybody know what these are? Pink blobs is not the correct answer, I'm afraid. These pink blobs are clusters of snail eggs. These particular snails live in the Hillsborough River, which is where I photographed them Saturday. And I think they are a non-native, invasive species. Now, why in the world would they lay a cluster of such brightly colored eggs? Easter? No, I don't think so. This just seems to me like it would attract predators out of the woodwork. But maybe they figure that by laying so many, some of them are bound to survive, even if most of the clutch gets eaten. I can't say for sure, because I am not a snail. But that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...