Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Lithia


As I hinted about a couple of days ago, here are a few shots from my quick trip to Lithia Springs last weekend. When I was a youngster, we'd occasionally go here to swim in the big spring, and occasionally in the little spring, the one you see here, when it was still allowed. Eventually, enough people tried to dive into the cavern beneath the water, got stuck and drowned, that they had to post it off-limits and keep people out. The bottom of the spring that you see below is about 16 feet underwater. I'm told that it opens up into a cavern, but I've never seen it, and never been tempted to try and look.

All of these shots show the minor springs. The major springs are much larger, and packed with screaming kids. I suppose I was like that when we used to visit in the summer. We also went to Crystal Springs a lot, but that's been closed and is now used by Zephyrhills Spring Water as the source of much of their bottled water. Shame.

I know you won't believe me, but all of the greenery you see here is maybe three feet under the surface of the water. It's that clear! Plus, I used a polarizing filter on my camera. That helps remove the glare of reflected sunlight. Sorta like polarized sunglasses, but for the camera.

1 comment:

  1. Y'know, Litha (not Lithia) is a name for the summer solstice. Sort of synchronistic, eh? Oh, and nice photos, as usual!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...