Tuesday, July 07, 2009

One-Third


It's been a long time since I've brought you any pictures from my trip to DC back in May, and I apologize for that. I got a lot of great pictures on that trip, and I meant to share more of them with you than I have. Here's one that I've been using as my desktop wallpaper for a while now that really looks great at 1680 x 1050. This is the base of the Washington Monument, looking North towards the White House. I love those flags arrayed out in a circle like that. Something I didn't notice when I was there but found out about later is the slight change in color of the blocks near the top of this picture. That's where they ran out of money to finish the structure, and it stood there uncompleted for years. Of course, those years included the Civil War, so it wasn't going to be easy to get started again at that time. Hard to believe that more than 100 years later, the color of the before and after stones are still that different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...