Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Tip Top-Part Two


While I'm showing you things near the sky in DC, how about the statue that sits atop the US Capitol Building? This is the Statue Of Freedom by Thomas Crawford that sits way up there where no one can see it. Again, I shot this with my longest lens, in the best light I could find. It's a little bigger than the chunk of aluminum that tops the Washington Monument, so I didn't have to crop it as tight, plus, it's not as far off the ground. But it's a little dark. You can see more detail in the original plaster model from which they made the mold to cast the bronze version. This model is housed in the Capitol Visitor's Center, under the plaza in front of the Capitol. Some people seem to think it's a copy of The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World, but as you can see, it's not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...