Sunday, March 21, 2010

Up In The Airfest 2010-Part 3


I think I've shown you the hurricane hunter aircraft before in previous years, one of which features Kermit the Frog as a mascot. They've always got one or two of these big, tough planes on display at Airfest.

They get a new sticker with every hurricane they fly through. Each and every year, one of the senior meteorologists on each of the local news channels films a sort of ride-along with these guys, showing that they have the best hurricane coverage around. But trust me, it's the guys from NOAA outfitting and flying these planes who do all the work. Something I didn't remember was that they've flown these planes in cyclones as well as hurricanes. Cyclones are the same as hurricanes, they just form in the Southern hemisphere, and rotate the opposite direction. I like how they show up on stickers indicating the opposite spin.

One thing I do not think I've seen before is the hurricane hunter featuring Miss Piggy, or at least I'd never seen her all made up inside the hanger. It's rare to see a government agency with a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...