Sunday, May 09, 2010

Gilded


This statue sits high on a pedestal between the Old Executive Office Building and The Ellipse in Washington, DC. I believe this is a WWI vintage monument to the 1st Division, Army, but I'm not certain. Each time I've been near it, the base has been off limits due to construction on the nearby buildings. Someday I'll get close enough to it to get a better idea of what it's for.

But it's still a pretty awesome statue. All that guilding on a spectacular sculpture way up in the air. And they've cleaned it since the last time I was there. Before, it was covered in bird droppings, but now it's nice and shiny. Probably won't stay that way for long, but it was nice for a while.

1 comment:

  1. This figure is by the same man who sculpted the Lincoln for the memorial: Daniel Chester French. Awesome photos! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...