Saturday, June 19, 2010

Big Reds


I'd never seen two of these big pileated woodpeckers this close together before. I saw one of these guys (they're both guys, actually, father & son, I'd guess) fly into a tree behind the local WalMart. I pulled over and grabbed the camera. As I got closer, I realized there were two in the tree eating some sort of fruit. I didn't get too much closer before one of them flew off into a nearby palm tree, but I watched the one eat for another ten minutes. That one, possibly the younger of the two, didn't seem to have any fear of me and my big camera.

7 comments:

  1. glad you're feeling better enough to postpone being a slacker long enough to take and post new pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except I took this three weeks ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen one that close, either. Their necks have no feathers? Wierd. rhys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was *trying* to focus on the positive ... geesh!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off topic, I know:

    From Los Angeles Times -


    Edith Shain dies at 91; WWII nurse in iconic Times Square kissing photo

    She was a married, part-time nurse when she joined the jubilant crowd celebrating V-J Day and was kissed by a young sailor. The photo by Life magazine's Alfred Eisenstaedt was seen by millions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These guys look like they're singing a duet--all the photo needs is some miniature guitars Photoshopped in.

    Fabulous photo.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...