Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tick Tock


There's a commercial on TV lately for some cell phone company, and in it, some guy gets a text too late for him to know he's not supposed to be part of some dancing flash mob right at 12:00pm. Something about the commercial has been bugging me and today I figured out what it is. A shot in the commercial shows the big clock in Grand Central Station with a second hand ticking down to noon. Well, that clock doesn't have a second hand, far as I can remember. And I found this picture from my last trip to NYC that seems to bear out my memory. No second hand.  There are some shadows on the face of the clock at 0:19 and 0:41, but those appear to be internal structure.  Zooming way in, I can see the profile of the hands on the left and right faces, and again, no second hand.  Exposure time is 1/40 of a second, so it shouldn't be blurred out of existence.  It's just not there...

4 comments:

  1. That commercial runs during *EVERY* break in the local KC Royals broadcasts. I've seen it about 2000 times. What bothers me is the fact that all the flash mobbers are aready there, in trenchcoats. Why are they all there if they got the message? Are they all just going to mill around for another half hour? Next time, look for all the trenchcoats. Thanks for the venting forum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you're right. The clock in Grand Central Station doesn`t have second hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot STAND that commercial...I either turn the channel or pull the 8 year old move by plugging my ears and hum Yankee Doodle Dandy! I thought it was funny because the guy looked like a complete tool at first but when it's played on EVERY channel in existence (even Telemundo at a Mexican restaurant I was at! LOL) it get's old! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Ernie, you are really sharp to catch that.

    It's true: what are the rest of them doing just hanging around until 12:30? Then again, if you are part of a flash mob ...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...