Thursday, December 15, 2011

Really Old Ray, Continued


Covering much of the same ground as the other share from Ray Charles (no, the other Ray Charles) that I just posted, this LP is a little more geared towards the Winter season instead of just Christmas.  In fact, it's part of a series for the seasons, one record for each.  There's even a sort of best-of I've seen, featuring a few tracks from each of the four LPs.  Anything to squeeze a few more dollars out of the record buying public, I guess.  I actually had a copy of this LP up on the turntable earlier this year in hopes of getting a remastered version to you this season, but the copy I had in front of me sounded pretty crummy, so I didn't see much point in giving you that.  Hopefully I'll stumble across a better copy sometime in the coming year and be able to record that one.  In the meantime, enjoy this one, a record that I've been touting the virtues of since 2005, The Ray Charles Singers-Winter Wonderland (MGM E3387, Mono, 1956).

1. Winter Wonderland
2. Button Up Your Overcoat
3. June In January
4. When Winter Comes
5. Snowfall
6. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
7. Winter & Theme For Indoor Sports
8. Moonlight In Vermont
9. Let It Snow Let It Snow Let It Snow
10. When Winter Comes A Callin'
11. Jingle Bells
12. By The Fireside

MediaFire

Someday I need to rip all four albums in this series...  I think I have them all, but laying my hands on them might be a problem.  I need an intern!

4 comments:

  1. Nunca pensé que existiera tantos albunes de Navidad.
    Gracias por su tiempo por gran trabajo.
    Aca atentos,todos los días si se repara los John Klein.
    ¿Cuántos discos de Navidad grabó John Klein?
    Muchas gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernie, I just lost about 8 years worth of downloads -- eclectic, obscure, tasteful (I'm an old school music snob) -- including my entire -- hugge -- Christmas music collection. I had it all on my work computer, moved it to an external hard drive, which I promptly dropped on the kitchen floor damaging it. Professional data recovery was unsuccessful (which I can't understand -- how does the FBI do it?).

    I am devastated, heartbroken, kicking myself mentally in the you know what for being so carelessly stupid with my treasure trove.

    Want you to know the first thing I did -- sort of therapy for an anguished soul -- was visit your wonderful site and begin building another Christmas collection.

    Your shares were the heart and soul of the Christmas music collection I lost and will no doubt assume that same role as I build a new one.

    Thanks for what you do with Christmas music. It is appreciated by more folks than you may imagine. I also enjoy your photography.

    Am heading to Naples, FL, to spend my first Christmas away from home (both parents have died) with my sister and her family. Looking forward to a FL Christmas.

    Warmest regards and best wishes for a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    Logan Boss
    Rome, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! But thanks for reminding me, I need to back up my Christmas folder RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ernie,

    This share was the reason I found your blog in the first place, a few years ago when you originally put it up. Everyone has one: that LP that transports them to childhood Christmas, happier times and images, smells and sounds that nearly bring a tear to the eye to recall. I had bought a few used copies through the years but each had terrible flaws, making it impossible to ever rip a fine version. Yours has been the joyful solution to that problem each year since, whether filling my house when played on my full surround system, on the go on my iPod or accompanying me on long holiday road trips back to PA. As Logan said in his comment above, your dedication gives a lot of joy, whether people take time to thank you or not. This stuff would be lost forever otherwise. What a Christmas gift, indeed. Best wishes to you and yours. Mike

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...