Sunday, November 27, 2016

Mystery Solved!!!

Some years ago, a reader posted a reply to a record I had posted, saying they had grown up with a different version of the song from the one I had posted.  The record was by Mimi Hines and the song was I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.  My version was from the somewhat classic Space Age Bachelor Pad Christmas LP The Merriest Of Christmas Pops, and their version was from a later Reader's Digest LP collection called Joyous Noel.  I dug out the Reader's Digest collection, and sure enough, there was a different take on there.  This version, in mono, started out with Mimi laughing in her best little kid voice, and omitted a bit about Santa dancing in the middle.  Well, I just figured out that this is the version released on 45 back in 1959!  I found the single today and ripped it, then compared all the versions.  The 45 matches the Reader's Digest version, but not the LP take.  Flipping over the single, Santa Baby sounds like it might be a different take as well.  It's slightly longer on the 45, and to my ears it sounds like the phrasing might be different here and there.  Not a big difference, though.  Now I need to go dig out that mono copy of The Merriest Of Christmas Pops and see if it's different from the stereo version.  Give a listen and see for yourself!  This is Mimi Hines With Ray Martin And His Orchestra (And Chorus)-I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus b/w Santa Baby (RCA Victor 7" 45 RPM 47-7646, Mono, 1959).  I'd share both versions, but I'm pretty sure the other one is available at all your finer download emporiums.

Zippyshare

4 comments:

  1. I love alternate takes. Now if I only loved Mimi Hines...but I saw her on TV too much when I was a young fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these! I dug up some of her stuff on Decca this year, and I was singularly not impressed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool .. on the mono recording she is is intentionally (?) singing flat like a little kid would. Maybe they recorded both to see which one worked best.... nice post! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. New link for 2018...

    https://mega.nz/#!oJlEnYKD!MdKqG0-vMswPScmUZNLbpEaLbY817EpKLX7rcpOf3U8

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...