Sunday, August 13, 2017

Christmas In July 2017 Day 45

Is there any rule against posting twice on one day?  I don't think so.  And I'm starting to get a little bit anxious about getting this season over and done with.  So here's a second batch of seasonal tunes for your Sunday in August.

1. The Seasons by Karla Kuskin
2. December Bird by Aileen Fisher, both tracks taken from the compendium Poetry Parade-Poets Read Their Poetry For Children (Weston Woods Studios 2xLP ww703 & ww704, Mono).  I'm starting to think I may still be sharing tracks out from this one next season...

3. I Wonder As I Wander by Fred Waring And His Pennsylvanians Featuring Eleanor Forgione from the big box Fred Waring And His Pennsylvanians Sing America's Favorite Songs (Reader's Digest 8xLP RDA-238 "Courtesy Of Capitol Records Inc.", Stereo, 1981).  Ditto this one, I've still got quite a few tracks to go.  Wish I'd ripped this one much earlier in the season.

4. Holiday For Trombones by David Rose And His Orchestra from the LP The Very Best of David Rose (MGM SE-4155 aka ST-90641, Stereo, 1963).  The holiday master delivers another crushing blow, this time with trombones.

5. Go Tell It On The Mountain from our friend Monnajean McIlwain from Ten Thousand Angels-Christmas And Gospel Favorites (Mus-I-Col 103727/103728, Stereo).  I've got to be close to the end of this one.  I think I ripped it last weekend and I've been sharing from it ever since.  I do remember there being a track at the end of side two that wasn't listed on the sleeve (though it showed up on the label), so there's at least one bonus track from it.  And I think there was one track from the first side, too, so there are a lot.

6. Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabella by Oratorio Chorus Of The Guelph Light Opera Company-Charles M. Wilson, Mus. Doc., Director, from the album Songs For All Seasons (Guelph Light Opera Company GLOC 1968, Recorded in St. James The Apostle Anglican Church, Guelph, Ontario, Stereo).  Getting close to the end of this one, too.

7. Baby, It's Cold Outside by Marty Gold And His Orchestra from Stereo Action Goes Hollywood (RCA Victor LSA-2381, Stereo, 1961).  I think this finishes up all my shares from the Stereo Action series.  I've always wondered if there were enough to make a compilation of them, but I don't think so.

8. Winter Wonderland by Guy Lombardo And His Royal Canadians-Vocal By Kenny Gardner from the LP Guy Lombardo In Hi-Fi (Capitol W738, Mono, 1956).  Capitol made several of these LP's at the dawning of the high fidelity era.  In addition to Lombardo, I know of a Fred Waring, a Stan Kenton and Benny Goodman.  There are probably others, but that's it for the top of my head.

9. White Christmas, a short version by Joe Bushkin-His Piano And Orchestra, pulled out of a couple of side-long medleys on Bushkin Spotlights Berlin-Joe Bushkin Plays Fifty Irving Berlin Hit Tunes (Capitol T911, Mono, 1958).  Short Christmas songs are better than no Christmas songs.

10. Schoolboys In Winter, a short poem written by John Clare but read by Lloyd Frankenberg on his album A Round Of Poems-Selected from 'Invitation To Poetry' Read With A Round Of Comments (Columbia Masterworks ML 5148, Mono, 1957).  I guess there were a lot more albums of spoken poetry back in the day than I ever imagined.

11. The Marvelous Toy by The Chad Mitchell Trio from Singin' Our Minds (Mercury MG 20838, Mono, 1963).  Good stuff written by Tom Paxton.

12. Christmas Eve In Heaven, a recitation by Archie Campbell from his LP Christmas Eve In Heaven (RCA Victor LPM-3780, Mono, 1967).  Just found this yesterday and it made me very happy.

13. The Bells Of St. Mary's by The Somerset Strings from the album Will You Remember? (Epic LN 3255, Mono, 1957).  You might recall I shared out an LP of Christmas music from these guys.  All instrumental easy listening stuff, but pretty well done.

14. Ave Maria, Op. 52, No. 6 by Richard Crooks from the comp LP Richard Crooks Sings Songs Of Faith And Oratorio Arias (Camden (RCA) CAL-170, Mono).  Very early Camden collection of earlier recordings originally released on 78.

15. Alpine Boogie by Ted Heath And His Music from Strike Up The Band (London LL 750, Mono, 1953).  Happy little song to end this pile.

Two posts in one day!  You can't complain about that!  If this is the first post you saw today, keep scrolling, there was another one earlier.  I don't want you to miss anything.

Zippyshare

4 comments:

  1. I think Capitol aimed the "In Hi-Fi" series at big-band fans who wanted their favorite bands in up-to-date sound. In addition to the names you mentioned, there is a Harry James edition, and others, I'm sure. No Yogi Yorgesson in Hi-Fi, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. boy i tell you, when monnajean goes for a high note, it is an adventure. on the other hand, there’s nothing adventurous about eleanor forgione. she’s in complete control. in fact, she didn’t even need fred, much less any pennsylvanians. a capulco.

    i rather liked rose’s ‘holiday for flutes’. it stood on its own. but i think that he was borrowing from himself with ‘holiday for trombones’. i guess bone players like it. (man, they like anything trombone.) nice to hear guy lombardo in association with some other holiday than new year’s eve. it’s hard to believe just how big lombardo was. he was the second largest selling artist of the 1930s… right behind der bingle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you should get some kind of award for this! Or at the very least Monnajean should say thank you for the exposure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite version of The Marvelous Toy is the Peter Paul and Mary version from Peter Paul and Mommy. Mary sounds a bit too serious on it, but the guys ham it up well. I like Tom Paxton, but feel his version of his own song are the most boring, and the Mitchells strike up an in between approach, which is good as I like anything Chad Mitchell Trio, with Chad, or the then little known John Denver, as the lead focus. Thanks for a double header this day!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...