Saturday, August 19, 2017

Christmas In July 2017 Day 51

Yeah, well, I thought I was done with Christmas in July, too, but I guess not.  I found a whole stack of records today that I just couldn't ignore, so here are 17 more tracks that you may or may not need to hear.  Not the best stuff I shared all season, but certainly not the worst.  I found all but two of these records today.  The other two were things that I'd been skipping over in the stacks and didn't think I wanted to share yet, but they popped up in my head tonight so I decided to throw them into the stack.

1. White Christmas
2. Baby, It's Cold Outside, both tracks by Henry Mancini, His Orchestra And Chorus, from his record club collection Henry Mancini Presents The Academy Award Songs-31 "Oscar" Winners (RCA Victor 2xLP LSP-6013, Stereo, 1966).  There was actually a new member kit for the RCA Victor Record club inside the sleeve of this one.  I need to scan that and share it on the blog at some point.

3. Toyland (From "Babes In Toyland") by Carmen Dragon Conducting The Capitol Symphony Orchestra from Nightfall (Capitol SP 8575, Stereo, 1961).  This is the stereo version of a track I shared with you earlier in the season.  Glad I found it so I could update that for you.

4. On A December Night by Pope John Paul II from Pope John Paul II Sings At The Festival Of Sacrosong (Infinity/EOM INF-9899, Stereo, 1979).  The sleeve to this doesn't identify the lead artist on this record, it's clearly not The Pope, though I'm sure he was singing along at some point.

5. Ave Maria by Ferrante & Teicher, this version is from Moonlight Melodies-Ferrante & Teicher Play 20 Great Love Themes (United Artists 2xLP SQBO-91105 For Capitol Record Club, Stereo, 1970).  I shared out a different version earlier in the month that's a little longer and on the ABC-Paramount label.

6. Winter Wonderland by Lester Lanin
7. Winter Song by The Merrill Staton Choir, both tracks taken from the LP Passport To Pleasure! (Columbia Special Products XTV 82095/82096 Prepared Especially For Chemstrand, Limited Edition, Mono).  No idea who Chemstrand is or was, but I guess they paid for Columbia to press up this LP for them.  Couple of brightly colored cocktails on the cover, so maybe they were in the liquor business?

8. Tropic Holiday by The Lansdowne Jazz Group from the LP The Songs Of Percy Faith (Harmony (Columbia) HL 7223, Mono, 1960).  Not sure if I've ever heard the Percy Faith original on this one.

9. The Snows Of Yesteryear by Jack Jones, Orchestra Arranged And Conducted By Ralph Carmichael, Doug Talbert At The Piano, from the album Jack Jones Sings (Kapp KL-1500, Mono, 1966).  I think this was about the point when I knew I was going to have enough songs to share another day.  They just kept coming...

10. Satan Takes A Holiday by Shep Fields And His Rippling Rhythm Orchestra from 1 Man 2 Bands (RCA Camden CAL 388, Mono, 1957).  Well, it does have Holiday in the title.

11. O Sanctissima
12. O Come, O Come Emmanuel
13. Ave Maria, all three by The Centennial Choir and the LP Hallowed Be Thy Name (Darick Record Co PX 11, Mono).  I thought this was going to be some more music I could attribute to a Pope since the cover is a nice picture of Pope Pius XII, but he only recites one track on the LP, and it's not one of the Christmas ones.

14. Moonlight In Vermont by The George Shearing Quintet-Vocal By Teddi King from When Lights Are Low (MGM E3264, Mono, 1955).  After I decided I was going to share another day, I had to dig back through the stacks to grab this one that I had put back earlier.  I wasn't going to go out of my way to share it, but when I decided I was going to share some other stuff, I wanted to include it.

15. Holiday Mambo by Machito And His Afro-Cuban Orchestra from Holiday Mambo (Harmony (Columbia) HL 7040, Mono, 1957).  A nice track, but not much Christmas here.

16. Holiday For Strings by Ray Anthony from Golden Horn (Capitol T-563, Mono, 1955).  Because you needed another version, this time on the trumpet.

17. Brazilian Sleigh Bells by Eastman-Rochester Pops, Frederick Fennell Conducting, from Hi-Fi A La Española (Mercury MG50144. Mono, 1957).  I spent forever trying to record this one.  When the drums really start to kick in, it would skip like a happy schoolgirl.  Nothing I did seemed to fix the problem, and I couldn't see anything on the surface of the vinyl that might be causing it.  I finally had to play it backwards, and that seemed to work.  No idea why, but I got a good rip.

And that's it, another unexpected day.  Don't expect it tomorrow, I'm going to try not to even go near a thrift store.  I need to box up all these records I've been sharing for the last month and a half, then figure out what to do with the boxes.

Zippyshare

6 comments:

  1. What, more? Your energy knows no bounds.

    I have a Pius XII LP, but I think it's a 10-incher. Nothing like a Pope to move some records, eh?

    I knew you had another Holiday for Strings in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The energizer bunny has nothing on you, Ernie. Thanks for all the July/August shares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ERNIEgizer.
    he just keeps going and going...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. I nearly missed this. Glad i looked again after you mentioned 51 days on one of your Chanukah posts. Thanks for this late surprise. Lucky for me the link still worked. Merry Christmas at Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I made it through all 52 (3?) days of xmas and Chanukah in two days. I'm astounded by how much you posted. They went into my music app in batches and by the numbers I saw there's at least 600 songs here. Maybe 800. You're seriously amazing Ernie. Thank you so much! Now I'm in the process of listening to everything :D

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...