Friday, November 24, 2017

Past, Present And Future

OK, let me go ahead and say this right at the beginning.  This is a weird one.  You'd think it's just another Christmas album by noted choral director Ken Darby and his singers, but that would be too easy. Perhaps the cover clues you in if you look closely at the odd colors and the warped typeface.  The creepy guy in the center ornament doesn't help either.  I hunted this record for a long time before it finally came my way.  I'd seen it mentioned on contemporary Decca Christmas LPs, but for some reason it never turns up.  After you listen to it, you might understand why it's a little rarer than Bing and Burl albums.  I don't really know how to explain it.  It's not bad.  But it's not catchy or poppy, either.  It could easily be the soundtrack to something, but it isn't.  I'm thinking the closest thing it might compare to is Gordon Jenkins' themed albums, like Manhattan Tower or Seven Dreams.  It's like that, if that means anything to you.  It even gets a little sci-fi on the future part, talking about listening to the sounds that left Earth many years ago.  Or is that the past part?  I don't know, it's all too trippy for me.  I'm going to go listen to my copy of Rotary Connection-Peace, that'll make this one sound like Nat.  Maybe.  If you're feeling brave, why not download and listen to Chorus And Orchestra Under Direction Of Ken Darby-The Spirit Of Christmas--Past, Present And Future (Decca DL 78939, Stereo, 1959).  Funny story, I recorded this one two years ago, but then promptly misplaced the record.  I didn't scan it before I lost it, so couldn't do much with it.  Today I found another copy and was able to scan and share it real quick.  Ha, that sure was funny!  I crack myself up!

1. The Spirit Of Christmas Past; Adoremus Te; Noel De Thevet; The Friendly Beasts; Come To Bethlehem; The Coventry Carol; Mary Treads The Snow; Stille Nacht; The Bell-Ringers Carol
2. The Spirit Of Christmas Present; 'Twas The Night Before Christmas; White Christmas; We'll Dress The House
3. The Spirit Of Christmas Present (Con't); Caroling, Caroling; Some Children See Him; Come Dear Children; 'Twas The Night Before Christmas
4. The Spirit Of Christmas Future; To You Who Are As Yet Unborn
5. The Story Of Christmas
6. Another Christmas
7. Finale: Saviour, Saviour

Zippyshare

15 comments:

  1. Love it! I swear that's Norma Zimmer from The Lawrence Welk Show on "Some Children See Him." Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at weird. I can't wait to listen to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a psychedelic experience! Album art and all. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting ten years for you to share this LP! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like Thurl Ravenscroft is one of the vocalists, or someone with a very similar voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be great background music to Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
    It has a cool Walter Schumann vibe to it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. The comments have me looking forward to this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started listening and thought "well that's not too weird" and then the first track ended... ummmmmm, yes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, is it weird that I didn't think this was all that weird? I found it pretty cool. Gothic Christmas. Maybe I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been visiting your blog for years but I think this is the first time I've ever commented. Thanks for all of the posts over the years. Checking out blogs like yours has become one of my Christmas traditions.

    Anyway, this album...wow. When you said "weird" you weren't kidding. I've tried to listen to it once and didn't make it far. Will give it another shot. It's not bad, just very...different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A psychedelic Christmas with Norma Zimmer and Thurl Ravenscroft (two of my favorite singers, I should add)! This is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just listened to this today...AND I LOVE IT!!!! Very 50's/60's classic vocal Christmas, just like what I heard when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scratch one I don't need to transfer over... thanks Ernie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A new link...

    https://mega.nz/#!FJUTDCIC!jG00eWxzzy3ymrUFTGbBwlUnieGovwhhMSZYanCfV9E

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Owned this ken darby album. An acquired taste for sure!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...